[pct-l] boots? - evidence based knowledge...

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Mon Jan 14 02:06:44 CST 2013

HOw I love to hear from Yoshiro. However, evidence be damned!!! At least
in terms of research on what works best for long distance hiking. If you
don't know beforehand, you'll soon discover what works for you.

WHAT WORKS FOR YOU...

This takes 100s of miles, be they spent in seven, 10, 14, 35 or 80 day
trips, a year or two or five or 20 of hiking. I love the reality that
dozens of hikers start at Campo ignorant of what will come. Faiththings
will work out is far more powerful than any objective knowledge one may
carry into a long hike.

That said, scientific knowledge is a nice frame to take into account.
However, it's no more than a frame. It can help understand experience,
but can't tell us what to do. And without the miles under the boots so
to speak, evidence-based knowledge is little better than my friend Waldo
who knows everything...

Regardless, check out Yoshiro's photographs. The one taken from Forester
Pass looking south has been my desktop image for a long time. I still
get lost in it...

Jeffrey Olson
Rapid City, SD