[pct-l] sleeping bags & liners

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 13 10:58:14 CST 2013

Bill,

I brought a Cocoon silk sleeping bag liner on my PCT journey - it took my four seasons to complete the trail, and I could add up about six months. Since I rode a horse, I could not go into towns and motels as many hikers do. I did not have access to laundromats. I mostly lived on the trail. I camped alone with my horse whenever possible. I showered (I brought a solar shower) and washed my cloths wherever I camped, which was usually near the trail but out of sight of it.

What I have described above was my way of going.

I agree with Matt. I would not consider going without a sleeping bag liner. I had had lot's of experience backpacking and horse camping without bringing a liner. The sleeping gets dirty and smelly. You can't avoid it.

I consider the liner to be well worth it's weight. It kept the inside of my bag clean. It added extra warmth - the manufacturer claims 8 or 9 degrees. I brought a 30 degree bag and Smartwool underwear. If it was really cold I could also sleep in my clothes for additional warmth. There were other times when it was too warm to be comfortable in the bag with liner. So, I would just use the liner on top of the bag. Later, during the night, when it cooled off, I could easily slip into the bag. This approach gave me flexibility, several options to deal with various temperatures.

Washing the liner (I just rinsed clothes thoroughly - no soap) while on the trail was not a problem. I showered and washed clothes (in a collapsible bucket) well away from water sources so as not to pollute. The silk liner would dry very quickly. I would just hang it on the highline in the breeze. I would also sometimes turn the bag inside-out and hang it to air. Hikers could use a very lightweight 50' braided nylon cord for this. I have never had to wash my bag - in six months of use.

The above is just my opinion and is based on my personal experience.

MendoRider