[pct-l] sleeping bags & liners

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Sun Jan 13 07:44:54 CST 2013

Bill,
	Over the course of the hike, you ARE going to have to wash the bag, somewhere. I would suggest that a bag liner is not as useful as another item, a light jacket, sweater, or a set of long johns. I used one for a few trips many years ago, but found them less than good, except for sleeping.
	The whole goal is to stay warm and keep the bag fairly clean. You can use a liner, but this only has a single purpose. You use it at night for sleeping. Unlike additional sweaters or long-johns, you cannot wear it during the day, nor at night when you need to visit the head. It *will* let use the liner alone on hot nights. It will also keep the bag a slight bit cleaner by not using the bag on these nights...sleeping on it is not really considered. It is another piece of gear that needs washing on the trail.
	The liner is usually silk, silnylon (for vapour barriers), lightweight cotton (similar to tee-shirt knits) or some sort of plastic mesh. Weights vary a bit, between 3-4oz up to about 10-12oz. I never found any use for them during the day. They do not protect against water, that well. Nor do they keep you very warm. Perhaps a redesign with loose feet and arms might help a bit if you try to wear one. VB's do not work that well in temps much above 20F...
	Anyway, as a single purpose item, I do not find them as useful as a good down jacket to extend the temp range of a bag. I carry a set of long-johns and socks that are dedicated to sleeping, except when I get cold. Usually hiking during the day, I can handle temps down to about 25F without them, though. Below that, I don't worry so much about getting the long-johns wet.
	I would much rather put the additional 4oz in extra down insulation in a jacket (making my sleep system a little more flexible) and long johns (for cold days, too), or, even in a heavier bag, rather than dedicate a second piece of gear to sleeping.
	My thoughts only . . .
		jdm