[pct-l] Ice axes

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Sun Jan 13 03:36:05 CST 2013

Jon & Cat,

In the context of thru hiking the PCT, the need to arrest a fall on snow is
a distinct possibility, especially if the friction of your chosen footwear
fails and you fall and slide toward rocks or trees downhill. You may never
have to self-arrest if you're careful, and you can never be too careful, but
slip-and-falls do happen, especially if you're in a hurry or push too hard
off your toes on snow.

You can carry an ice axe, but if you do not know what to do with it in an
emergency, it is a waste of money and weight you're carrying. Learning how
to use an axe to stop an out-of-control fall on hard, steep snow or ice has
to be preceded by risk recognition (you have to identify the hazard before
you get there so that your axe is in-hand when and if you should fall) and
employed by reflex (you need to practice how to hold it, in which hand on
what pitch/traverse, how to position it when in the fall, what the body has
to do to maximize its effectiveness, and all this in a split second).

We all fall on snow. Mountain Education is based in "snow-country" and we
slip just walking around the parking lots! It happens just when you least
expect it to (probably because we forget to keep looking for hazards or just
get distracted).

The PCT is not a flat trail. Matter of fact, in the sierra it spends quite a
bit of time traversing steep mountainsides, switchbacking up or down, or
just wandering in and out of mellower hillsides through trees, above
timberline, and on shadowy north slopes where snow lingers late into
summers. Everybody knows what it is like to stand on an ice rink, your feet
can suddenly go anywhere! It's not much different standing on a patch of
snow early in the morning when the surface is frozen solid. Now, put that
small patch of drifted snow across the trail on an angle (because you're
traversing down into a creek) and you REALLY need to be careful how you
move. Traverses are more dangerous to the snow hiker than straight ups and
downs!

What becomes important to the simple act of getting around on snow is the
predictability of your footwear in transferring your body's forces onto the
snow. This is where the rubber meets road, so to speak!  This means you need
to consider aspects of  your shoes like depth and type of lug pattern, sole
flexibility, torsional rigidity, ankle support, and so on. If you can't get
a good enough grip on the snow, you're not going far and certainly not fast.

The next issue on snow hiking is balance maintenance. This is where poles
with snow baskets come in. Mountain Education is on-snow up to 80 days and
nights every year and we've tried many designs over our 30 years and have
come to like and rely upon the Black Diamond products, namely their Traverse
and Whippet poles. Walking on dry trail is vastly different than walking on
snow when it comes to how you utilize your poles!
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/ski/ski-poles/whippet-self-arrest-ski-pole

The Whippet will stop most any fall on snow. We have never experienced a
failure and even use the poles to teach self-arrest techniques from time to
time. So we carry one on all trips with the other hand carrying the
Traverse.

When we recognize a serious ice or hard packed snow pitch up ahead, we will
stop and get our axes out. An ice axe is the definitive tool for snow travel
as you can chop, belay, arrest, chip, and otherwise help yourself out of
most any nasty situation with it in trained hands. When we are past that
steep or bad stretch, we bring out the Whippet/Traverse and continue on.

Never be hasty on snow. Always be paying attention to what's around and
ahead of you to be safe.

Remember, even a single suncup can send you flying...or at least on your ass
with a laugh!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org