[pct-l] Pemmican

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Thu Jan 10 22:36:50 CST 2013

> Message: 38
> Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 18:38:27 -0800
> From: Scott Williams <baidarker at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Pemmican
> To: Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes <diane at santabarbarahikes.com>
> Cc: pct-l at backcountry.net
>
> To shift to beef jerky for a moment, most of what you buy is very moist,
> therefore heavier and not as stable once the package is opened.  The stuff
> I make myself starts as very thinly sliced cheap beef roast that is then
> salted and spiced and dehydrated so dry that it is almost like beef corn
> chips.  It is so dry that what I made 14 months ago is still delicious
> just
> kept in a zip lock.  I used it out of hand on trail because it was really
> tasty and then broke it up to rehydrate it with different meals.  It seems
> the commercial jerky is attempting to be tender and moist, but I love it
> really dry and crunchy.
>
> Shroomer

This sounds interesting/appealing - can you offer more details in terms of
what you bought (cuts of meat - what cheap roasts - or does it matter); how
your prep'd it (what spices, beyond the salt you mention); how you sliced
it - by hand or on a lunchmeat slicer; what dehydrating temperature; and
about keeping it fresh during the hike - any concerns at all, or no concerns
etc.

thanks - TheDuck