[pct-l] ZPacks sleeping bags

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 23:10:59 CST 2013

I used the ZPacks 20 degree quilt/bag this year on the CDT.  We were
camping above 13,000 feet at times in the Weminuche Wilderness with lots of
snow around and temps well below freezing and I loved it.  At 1 lb it is as
warm as the Western Mountaineering 20 degree bag I used on the PCT in 2010,
but that bag weighed 2 lbs.  With the 900 fill down and very fine dress
zipper that runs underneath you and not along the side, you don't need the
zipper baffle to insulate the zipper closure.  I did not find the 900 fill
to lose its loft over the summer as some folks have experienced with down
that fine.  I used it mostly as a quilt, but zipped it up at times.  When I
went into really cold areas, the High Sierra in the very cold spring of
2010 and the San Juans this year, I carried WM down pants as an adjunct to
my pretty light clothing, and I slept with them as well, so factor that in
to your calculations, but I was not cold with that combo.  Not sure if I
would have been without the down pants, but I like them and find the extra
weight worth it.  I shipped them home from Tahoe in the Sierra and from
Breckenridge in the CO Rockies.

Why Not used the ZPacks 20 degree bag on the CDT this year but had Joe add
several extra oz of down to her bag because she tends to sleep cold, and
loved it all hike.   I believe this has become a 15 degree bag now.  Joe's
tents and bags were ubiquitous on the CDT this year.  We had several camps
where we had 5 or 6 of his tarp tents up in one site.  They held up well in
some terrific blows.

One other great product ZPacks makes is their raincoat of breathable cuben
fiber.  I used it extensively this summer and found it to be a great and
very light raincoat.

Shroomer