[pct-l] Vegan thru hike

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Wed Jan 9 22:19:16 CST 2013

I use  a lot of the recipes in this book: "Lipsmackin Vegetarian
Backpackin" by Christine and Tim Connors. I dry marinated tofu to add
to meals.

I am not a vegan or vegetarian, but try to eat as little meat as I
can. I do make my own beef jerky, but find I only need about 1 3/4 oz.
per day to get my meat protein hit. The older I got and the more I
backpacked the more I craved meat protein--it is the first thing i eat
when I stop to camp. It is important to eat some kind of protein soon
after  you stop exercising for the day for the health of your
muscles.

I have met a lot of vegans on the trail. Most have spent a lot of time
preparing and drying their own food. And food choices in small towns
are limited for zero day calorie replenishment.

--Fireweed