[pct-l] Crampons for trail runners

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Jan 9 17:51:04 CST 2013

Good afternoon,

In my opinion it is far too early in the snow-reporting year to worry about
crampons and ice axes.  I don’t recall ever encountering a PCT hiker using,
or even carrying full-size crampons:  I expect many have, but such will be
very rare.

Alpine mountaineers have their uses for full-platform crampons – with or
without toe picks – but PCT hiking in season isn’t alpine mountaineering:  It’s
trail hiking.  The trail may have some snowpack and ice, but for all but a
very few early starters, hikers will be walking in someone else’s
tracks.  There
isn’t a need for high-angle climbing; and it will be rare – and probably
avoidable – to even have to axe cut or kick-step even a few times for
footing.  Most often it’s only necessary to have something that will
provide minimal “bite” on a slick surface.

The greatest hazards I’ve faced with footing under PCT hiking conditions
wasn’t up on some high, snowpack covered pass, it was when crossing streams.
When wading, the rocks are most often slick and it’s very easy to stagger
around and hurt a foot or fall for an embarrassing – but usually harmless
-- dunking.

Another facet of stream-crossing hazard is the common practice of crossing
without wading, i.e. rock-hopping or log walking.  Both practices are a
problem because the surfaces are usually wet, mostly bare, very slick, and
often associated with a jump or leap.  Typical rubber-soled sneakers have
very poor wet traction, Vibram is worse, and crossing streams isn’t the
place for crampons.

The best aid I’ve used for slick rocks, logs, and icy trail surfaces is the
simple and cheap shoe-screws.  They are not crampons, but for most foot
traction challenges they are better than crampons.  It’s much like
comparing tires with studs vs. chains: The studs will bite a slick road
while the chains are a monumental pain in the rear bumper.

It’s now winter for most of us, which provides a good opportunity to
install some shoe-screws and give them a try on something slick -- just
stay off the finished floors in your home.

Shoe Screws: http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=429217

Shoe Screws: http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=429216

Snowpack Walking:  http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=428822

Traction Aids:  http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264768