[pct-l] Vegan Thru Hike?

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Wed Jan 9 15:44:12 CST 2013

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Jackie McDonnell <yogihikes at gmail.com>wrote:

> You have not hiked 2600 miles, so do not assume that ANYTHING which worked
> for your 500 mile hikes would also work day after day after day for a 2600
> mile hike.  This applies not only to food, but to gear, clothing, etc.

For me, things start changing physically around the 700-1000 mile point
where the "Hiker Hunger" sets in. Food becomes one of the most important
things to my whole being and happiness.

The simple truth is that the easily available high caloric density foods
available in trail towns are mostly animal based. You wander into a small
logging town and the local cafe serves
burgers/pizza/steaks/eggs/milkshakes/icecream and the only vegan
alternative might be french fries or salad. The same for buying food in the
small stores. Cheese, Salami, Jerky are all high caloric density and easily
available.

I'm sure that it is possible to be vegan on the trail, but is would be very
difficult.

If your reasons are "religious or moral" as Daniels reply seems to be, then
I wish you the best of luck, I hope your faith sustains you. If you are
simply trying to be healthy, then after 1000 miles, starving seems less
healthy than that double cheeseburger and large pepperoni pizza.

HYOH