[pct-l] Crampons for trail runners

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Jan 9 15:00:12 CST 2013

Even though Matt has used, without injury, these Black Diamond "Contact"
crampons on his trips of the PCT and CDT, the front points would be very
dangerous for the inexperienced.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/climb/crampons/contact-crampon

Jon: Kahtoola makes some great, durable, and safety-reliable products, but
they are use-specific, so be careful in your selection.

Their Microspikes we tested out thoroughly on a video trip from Cottonwood
Pass on up and over Forester and out Kearsarge in May of 2010 when there was
still 8 to 12 feet of snow underfoot. (Keep in mind that the depth of snow
doesn't matter in spring-consolidated conditions for snow-hiking, only the
surface hardness, for the most part). The problem we experienced was that
the rubber band that holds the chains onto your shoe simply failed, rolling
off the shoes to the sides, on hard-surfaced, steep side-slopes and
traverses. Upon talking to Kahtoola after the trip, they pointed out that
the Microspikes were designed for flat and level use, say around town, maybe
a little straight up and down, and not for sloped traverses like we have
throughout the mountains. Although Microspikes are light and affordable, we
do not consider them safe for general mountain over-snow travel.
http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.php

Kahtoola's KTS and new K10  http://www.kahtoola.com/hiking_crampons.php  are
well designed for all the abuse we could throw at them from Cottonwood,
Forester, Glen, Pinchot, Mather, Bishop, and Muir Passes. Although we only
had the KTS aluminum and steel versions at the time, the K10 looks good for
thru hikers, too.

Scott: Good advice, buddy!

Hope this helps all of you our there in your Planning & Preparation stages.

Do not skimp on safety-related items. I know the good stuff costs more, but
when you're out there on a steep, icy side-slope and looking at the rocks
below, you'll want something you can rely on! (Of course, you can chose to
go through the snowy sections later in the year, but you'll find that it
doesn't take much snow thickness to create a dangerously slippery condition,
so be prepared!)

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org