[pct-l] Dried meats and Cheese on Trail

branko grujcic xo4xx at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 16:00:20 CST 2013

Hey Cat!
I got bulk organic, extra virgin coconut oil online. In March/April i warmed it up just enough to be able to mix in nuts, seeds, cacao nibs and honey. The oil part ended up being about 1/3 of the mix. I then filled quart size freezer bags and put them in the fridge to harden. My resupply person would then packed them up and mail them 10 days prior to my resupply pickup.
Although coconut fat is great and healthy, you'll get sick of the taste fast. It also melts at much lower temp then suet would, at about room temperature. It gets messy. I end up mixing my "power bars" with the rest of my nuts (got >10lbs of macadamia nuts directly from a grower in Hawaii), berries, chocolate and whatnot in quart ziplock bags at resupply station, one bag/day (~1 lbs), and then use a spoon to eat it. It was fricking tasty, the more chocolate the better. Never got sick of it. In retrospect, i'd add more honey to the mix.
I had a trace of mold on couple of power bar bags that weren't completely sealed.
Hope that helps.
Branko