[pct-l] Dried meats and Cheese on Trail

branko grujcic xo4xx at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 11:58:20 CST 2013

I did '12 PCT stoveless. Homemade pemmican was 1/3 of my food, the rest
was homemade coconut fat power bars, nuts, seeds, dried fruits, berries, lots and lots of dark chocolate and long term meats, like salami,
speck, prosciutto and some jerky. The only thing i had to re-hydrate was protein powder.

Not having to cook and rehydrate saved more
than an hour per day since i never had stop to make a meal or eat. I
didn't have to camp near water as most of thrus did and that felt
liberating. My resupplies were in average 4 days apart, and i'd get
"fresh" meal at every resupply. Doing it this way probably wouldn't work
 for most, because camping, making fire and food seems to be a big part
of the thru-hike experience. I could care less about that so it worked
great for me. If my hike lasted much longer then 3 months, i might get
 bored with my food and would start throwing in more sugar products
which, unfortunately, i craved a lot towards the end.

Branko