[pct-l] Heavy Backpacks May Damage Nerves, Muscles and Skeleton, Study Suggests

Rod Miller rod at rodmiller.com
Thu Feb 28 20:26:47 CST 2013

On 2/26/13 1:13 PM, tsparks56 at aol.com wrote:
> I guess this means I am finally going to get rid of my 1975 vintage Jansport
> pack, that thing must weigh 4 pounds!
>
> Seriously though, anything we do, including a hard workout is "damaging" our
> bodies at some level, as well as being a couch potato watching Looney Tunes
> all day long.

I wouldn't take that study seriously until there is
more information about it.

I read it and didn't see any information about how much weight
was considered, nor the subjects' ages.
So, how much weight? How old were the subjects, e.g., were
they of an age where their bones were still growing and
sensitive to unusally placed loads on the skeletal structure?

We all get a little shorter as we age because of age-related
compression of the spine which occurs all the time we're
vertical, not just when we're backpacking.

I'm not worrying about it.

Rod

--

Custom 2-rail O Scale Models: Drives,  |   O Scale West / S West
Repairs, Steam Loco Building, More     |   2014 Meet is Feb 6 - 8