[pct-l] Yosemite & HalfDome

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Wed Feb 20 21:18:51 CST 2013

On Feb 19, 2013, at 12:00 PM, patrick griffith <patrickjgriffith at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to work out the logistics of taking a side trip to Half Dome when I pass through Yosemite, but am confused by the permit webpage. The main problem at present is I won't know when to reserve a permit as that could be out by a few days if not weeks depending on trail condtions. Has anyone had this problem before, and know if there is a solution?

The permitting system has made Half-Dome much more difficult for thru-hikers.

Whether you get a Half-Dome permit or not, you might want to consider getting
a wilderness permit in Tuolumene and hiking down to the valley via Clouds Rest.

Here is a description of the trail:

<http://www.yosemitehikes.com/tioga-road/clouds-rest/clouds-rest.htm>

The Clouds Rest summit is about 1000 feet higher than the near-by Half-Dome
and offers outstanding 360-degree views of the park.  Highly recommended.

The trail to the summit is 'interesting'. From the page linked to above:

Acrophobics Beware: The top of Clouds Rest is a narrow ridge with a long, sheer dropoff on the north side (the side you can see from the    Tioga Road). The dropoff to the south is less extreme, but it wouldn't require special talent to wind up just as thoroughly and symmetrically dead by falling off that side. It's best to visit Clouds Rest sober and during dry weather.

Radar