[pct-l] question re-fuel for Caldera Cone System Stove

Weathercarrot - weathercarrot at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 20 14:57:40 CST 2013

I've tinkered with a variety of alcohol stove/stand/wind screen configurations, and the caldera cone is by far the easiest and most stable format I've used.
Given that we seem to be averaging 1-2 wildfires a year on the PCT caused by hiker stoves (my guess - not a definitive claim), then if you have to use an
alcohol stove, stability in wind is the primary consideration (after you've cleared out all organic materials from the ground beneath or put the stove on a flat rock).
The caldera seems to be the safest when it comes to fire prevention.

wc