[pct-l] Desert part in Sandals

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Feb 18 16:49:39 CST 2013

I prefer the kind without a toe strap. I get way too much chafing on
the tops of my feet from the straps and I don't like the way the toe
strap clamps my foot down to the shoe.

I have figured out that you can pull the straps through the slots
enough to convert Z-2s (toe straps) to Z-1s. You can still feel the
toe-strap under your foot, but you get used to it.

Get the Unaweep sole. It's their most aggressive tread.

I have heard some people get a lot of heel cracks wearing sandals, so
socks can help with that. I've worn trail runners on the trail and my
feet were just as dirty in those as in sandals with socks. Getting
little rocks in the sandals really is a pain, but I got good at
clever ways to quickly get stuff out of there.