[pct-l] Sunscreen on the Trail

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Feb 13 19:14:48 CST 2013

Sunscreen will be needed more in the High Sierra than anywhere else
on the PCT. There's way more solar radiation up there. You can
actually sit there and feel it burning into you. I think you can even
hear your skin crackling. Once you get to Nor Cal and northward, you
have a lot more shade from trees.

That said, I used almost no sunscreen the entire way. I prefer long
pants and shirt and a wide-brimmed hat. Sunscreen/lip balm with
sunblock was only necessary for me in the High Sierra, mostly because
it radiates off the snow and burns the inside of my lips (from
breathing with my mouth open in the thin air).