[pct-l] Organize Halfmile's maps

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Wed Feb 13 15:07:11 CST 2013

Hi, Wally--

I carried Halfmile's maps on the trail in my pack in a gallon ziplock
bag--along with the pages of Yogi's guide for that section and the
WIlderness Trail guidebook pages. I only carried the ones I needed for
that section of the trail--I shipped the rest in my bounce box. In the
bounce box I just paper clipped the maps in bunches by section, then
used a small document clamp to keep them all together. I didn't need
to paper clip them together in my pack--I just folded them in half and
put them in the ziplock. Every night I would take out the maps I would
need for the next day and put the old maps in the ziplock. I wear a
long sleeved sun shirt on the trail, so during the day I kept the maps
I used folded in my front pocket of my shirt for easy access. Because
the maps have the page number and section number on them, they are
easy to organize in order.

I never had problems with the ink bleeding out in rain, because my
rain jacket had a waterproof zippered pocket in front that I put the
maps in when it was raining.

I looked at his maps frequently--they were great. I liked the fact I
could just reach down and whip them out of the pocket at a moment's
notice.
--Fireweed