[pct-l] Any comments on the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 1?

Weathercarrot - weathercarrot at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 12 15:16:30 CST 2013

In my view the top 4 Big Agnes long-distance tents would be:

Copper Spur 1-person
Copper Spur 2-person
Fly Creek 1-person
Fly Creek 2-person

Here are my nutshell comparison thoughts -

My ideal combination of specs does not exist in any of the above four tents, so I had to compromise.
I don't like a head entrance, but I also wanted the best ratio of large size to least weight.  The 1 person
version of both is too small for me, and the 2 person Copper Spur is noticeably heavier than the 2 person
Fly Creek.  Additionally, both Copper Spur sizes have a zipper configuration that does not zip across the
bottom.  This can be a problem if you want the tent almost fully closed while your feet are still sticking
out the door as you take your shoes off. I've run into this many times in extreme mosquito conditions.
The Fly Creek zipper works well for that.

So all things considered, and despite the still-annoying head entrance and the fact that it's not truly
free-standing, I went with the Fly Creek II and am mostly happy with it.

So I'm still looking for the ideal tent.  If Terra Nova were to make a slightly larger version of their Solar
Competition 1, that would be pretty close.

wc