[pct-l] Quilts versus sleeping bags

Ed Jarrett edjarrett at msn.com
Tue Feb 12 10:29:52 CST 2013

It depends.  I use a bag on the ground because I toss and turn so much during the night that a quilt would be a nightmare.  Trying to keep it tucked and draft free would be a never ending task.
But when sleeping in a hammock, my preferred sleeping arrangement, I use a pair of quilts.  One is fastened to the outside bottom of the hammock to insulate my downhill side, and the other laying on top of me.  I don't toss around nearly as much in a hammock to the re-tucking is greatly minimized.  Maneuvering around in a hammock while inside a sipped up back also requires more coordination than I have in the middle of the night.
Also, on the ground, your quilt has to reach to the ground on both side.  In a hammock, the under quilt wraps up around you so the top quilt does not have to reach down as far.

Ed Jarrett (Eeyore)http://aclayjar.blogspot.com/