[pct-l] a fool proof way of not having bear encounters

Randy Godfrey randy3833 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 09:22:29 CST 2013

Once, in the 70s, I was sleeping cowboy style in Yosemite's Camp 4. It was very late, but the people camped near by had taken acid and were all talking and laughing loudly, their Coleman lantern blazing away.

I heard talk about going off for a walk. My neighbors disappeared into the night, leaving their lantern going and all of their food on the table.

It only took a few moments before a bear arrived. I laid in my bag, watching as the bear began knocking all of their stuff off the table and scarfing up their goodies. When it was finished, the bear noticed me and began to walk over. I thought "Uh-Oh!" and flipped my sleeping bag over my face.

A few seconds later I felt the bear's muzzle poking around my face through my bag, sniffing and snorting, and then, thankfully, it left me in peace.

My neighbors returned a while later. The scene was strait from a Cheech and Chong movie. " Hey man, somebody's been into our stuff!".