[pct-l] The dangers of 'Cameling Up'

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Feb 11 19:19:23 CST 2013

I don't think the danger is in cameling up exactly.

I have read trailjournals.com a few times when people are starting
out and there are often people in the desert drinking too much. They
feel worse and worse so they drink more and more and get sick and
(think they have to) leave the trail. When all they need is to stop
drinking and see if some salty stuff will help.

But cameling up isn't necessarily bad because just drinking an extra
liter isn't what hurts you. It's drinking too much water over a
period of time and then mistaking your negative feelings for
dehydration and drinking even more.

It's beneficial to learn what those feelings are. For me it's
weakness, a profound thirst that is not quenched as I drink profusely
and a general malaise.

I like the book Waterlogged because I feel it verifies for me my own
personal experiences which are:

a) being dehydrated isn't really that big of a deal (tons of teenage
days laying out getting a tan with nothing to drink, then staggering
home in a dehydrated daze taught me that long ago)
b) that whole thing about not being able to trust your thirst, that
if you feel thirsty it's "too late", is BS just like I always thought
it was.

Thanks for recommending the book. I still want to read it.
Trailhacker has it.

Diane