[pct-l] Section Hiking The PCT

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun Feb 10 09:52:20 CST 2013

Since you only have 7 days available, your first consideration should be the
distance from home you must travel to reach any given trailhead and the
amount of time required for a round trip. That tells you how many on-trail
days you have available. Naturally, the farther from your home, the more
time it will take. In all practicality, you're probably looking at 5 days.

Once you know that, determine the rate (how many miles per hour) at which
you can reasonably expect to hike, given your personal stamina and physical
condition. Distance = rate x time. You can hike faster for a shorter time or
slower for a longer time and cover the same distance; your choice. If in
doubt, use 1.5 mph. There's plenty of light in May and June, so figure on an
absolute maximum of 12 hours of actual on-trail hiking time, although 10 is
more reasonable. This does not include any breaks taken for any reason. Now
you know how far you can reasonably expect to go in a day; in this scenario,
between 15 and 18. IMO, that's a lot for someone just starting out; 10 to 12
is more common, but any elevation change you encounter factors into this.
Thru-hikers - once the trail has whipped them into shape - can routinely
average 20+ (Sierra excepted). A few hearty (young, healthy) trail gorilla
types can pound out 30+. Übermenchen can hit 50+ on occasion, but not
continuously.

Number of trail days times maximum number of miles per day equals the
maximum section length you can do. Match that to the published section
lengths in the guidebook. Taking weather and snow conditions into account,
choose one and go.

Oregon pretty much breaks up into 50 mile sections between resupply points,
especially south of Santiam Pass, but you'll have a lot of snow-covered
trail in May and June. Southern CA may be your best bet for May and June.

Now if you could wait until August, every section will be available.