[pct-l] Knives

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 22:42:47 CST 2013

I've always just used the smallest, 2 inch blade with light plastic handle
I could find.  They've always been really cheep.  I use it for cutting
mushrooms, wild onions, agave and a few other trailside delectables, salami
and cheese and to cut a tent line or two.  On a thru hike, I don't find
much serious use for it, and so keep it really small.  Some folks don't
carry one at all.  I'm still too much of a Boy Scout to go without, but
it's much smaller than what I carried as a kid and we thought we needed it
for survival or something.  If I were setting out into the bush to really
do  serious survival stuff, I'd carry something much more substantial.  But
on a thru hike, speed and lightness of pack are what's important to me and
I keep my knife light and small.

Shroomer