[pct-l] packaging your own fresh food in resupply towns

Ann Marie dbanmrkr at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 9 15:04:02 CST 2013

Since we are back to the dreaded mountain biking topic, time for a diversionary topic (my apologies, but not really....hint, hint):

I'm curious. Has anyone prepared fresh food to package in their next leg's resupply (a max of 4-5 days forward) while actually on the trail?  For example, buying fresh eggs and boiling them in hot water from the microwave oven in their motel room, pre-cooking long-grain brown rice or quinoa, or baking multi-grain cookies/muffins in their room's microwave?  It seems to me that a number of foods could be pre-cooked and be safe to eat for the first 2 or 3 days on trail, leaving the expensive pre-packaged food for the last days. Yeah, it's heavier, I get that. However I also get that experienced hikers gain food knowledge within a month and hike their sections faster and probably are better at carrying the exact food they need. Unlike us section hikers who still end up with 2 days of food in our packs at the end of our sections, most of it stuff we no longer want to eat.  And I'm not asking about putting fresh produce in your pack, like apples, cucumbers,
 or lettuce. I'm interested in foods that need to be prepared before leaving the front door of the motel.