[pct-l] Food in tents

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 15:19:39 CST 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 1:03 PM, C <chrisfoley81 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay on a serious note for once on my part...all jokes aside...
> I'm seriously scared to death of the dark and the fact that there are animals that could rock my world...I hear a lot about protecting the bears but anyone have a fool proof way of not having bear encounters...so i got get messed with...i havent really been camping so where do i hide...how much smell is too much...i heard some people bring firecrackers?  Really??
> .I believe I have a decent chance on completing the trail but my night fears go pretty deep lol :)

You have more to fear at home than you do on the trail. You can hurt
yourself much more easily within a quarter mile of your home than you
can on the trail. The animals on the vast majority of the trail are
wild and want nothing to do with you or your food. You are more likely
to have trouble with mice than you are with an animal bigger than a
mouse. Be concerned about the snow covered sections.

There has been a lot of good advice on the list the past couple of
days about how to avoid bears coming after your food, like eating well
away from where you are sleeping, bear canisters, hanging food
properly, etc. This stuff works.

> Just being honest...

So am I, it is what you deserve.

> And as for parts of the trail...are there any real scary sections and somewhere/one has/have good pictures...like with narrow walk ways and steep drops .for example the narrows in Colorado??..I need to start visualizing these things...or just start unpacking my pack and go look for a job

Don't you dare!!! ;-)

> Thanks!!!

You're welcome.

> Sent from my iPhone

Maybe leave that at home, too. Face the fears and prove to yourself
they are unfounded. Free your self from yourself.

Dan Jacobs
Washougal
--
"Loud motorcycle stereos save lives."