[pct-l] How to not be an a-hole on the PCT.

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 12:48:25 CST 2013

One real bad one, in my eyes, is to come into a Trail Angel's home carrying
a 6 pack and then pleading that you're broke when you see the donation jar.
 Trail Angels spend a fortune on us over the course of a summer and they do
it because WE ARE AWESOME PEOPLE and they like us.  That being said, act
awesome!  If you have money, give a donation, $20 per night is fair, and if
you really don't have cash, offer to help around the place.  There's not an
Angel on the trail that will kick you out for being broke but there are
always other things you can do to give back, and that's the important
thing.  If you've got money, and most of us do have at least a little if we
are attempting a thru hike, drop some of it on them.  They go way out of
their way to help us, and if the experience goes sour for them, we'll lose
them as a resource.  Treat them with the respect they deserve.  The ones
I've met on this trail are some of the most AWESOME PEOPLE I've ever met!

Shroomer