[pct-l] Career Suicide and Living One's Dreams

Ernie Castillo erniec01 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 7 06:52:20 CST 2013

Career suicide?
At age 26, I walked away from a job as a Southern California sportswriter to embark on my "Border to Border" journey in 1980. Living in the wilderness for half a year was the ultimate "attitude adjustment." I felt I became a better person with a more focused view on life. I had no problem returning to the working world after "re-engineering" myself (today's view) or "finding my head" (70s view.) Backpacking to Canda proved I could do anything I set my mind to do. Jobs will come and go. You don't get many chances in life to live your dream. If your dream includes walking the PCT in its entirity, go for it. If your dreams also include maintaining other responsibilities (financial stability, family) then walk sections of the PCT.

Ernie Castillo
PCT Class of 1980 and a "lurker" on today's PCT-L