[pct-l] How to not be an a-hole on the PCT.

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 00:52:36 CST 2013

"Don't scratch big messages for hiker-friends in the sand, it's nice for the
intended recipient but a wilderness-disrupting eye-sore for many others"

Interesting.  My recollection is of seeing a variety of messages in sand,
often addressed in general to those thru's coming after (as at that point it
seemed like there were pretty much only "our tribe" (thru's) on the trail).

I found these kind of fun, some amusing messages in there.   It made me
realize how similar we are to our hunter-gatherer ancestors who I imagine
drew images and such for fellow travelers along the trail.   It added for me
to a sort of sense of community along the way.

I do understand why some might see this is a "no-no", and I didn't
personally add to the collection, but I didn't see it as a bad thing in the
somewhat limited areas where those were seen.

I think the more general answer to "how not to be an a-hole on the PCT"
boils down to not being one in general, whether it be via adding graffiti in
permanent marker or lighting fires in really dry conditions (and worse,
leaving a fire smoldering) or leaving toilet paper or other litter near or
along the trail, or just a host of ways in which people can act like jerks.
And as always, the problem is that those inclined to act that way will be
entirely unaffected by any such list or associated exhortations that this
group might come up with.

Best IMO is social pressure --- clarify to those few who are truly ignorant
and shun those who are overtly uncaring about the extended trail community
and environs.