[pct-l] "WalkStation" - treadmill desk

Paul Mitchell paul at bluebrain.ca
Wed Feb 6 22:09:30 CST 2013

Anyone who has a desk job and loves hiking might find this interesting.   :)

I sit for eight to sixteen hours a day when I work, which is almost all the
time.  When I hit the trail every few years I'm in terrible shape, and
although I get fit the further I hike, I would enjoy the trail FAR more if I
were fit in the first place.  I can't break away from the computer, it's my
source of income and a creative outlet, so I'm making an investment to turn
my computer into a place I can get fit.  I've ordered a combination
sit-stand desk (desk with motors in the legs that can lift the desk up from
sitting to standing height) coupled with a treadmill specially designed for
sustained slow speed use.  The treadmill sits off to one side and your
office chair sits beside it, your monitor on an arm that you can move to
either side as needed.

These things are slowly catching on.  We can walk, at a slow pace of 1 or
1.5 miles an hour, all day while working, or intermittently between sitting
breaks, potentially logging 10+ miles a day, burning an extra 100 to 130
calories per hour of walking.

They're not cheap (though lots of people rig up cheap alternative solutions)
but I feel like it's the best $2500 I'm likely to ever spend.

I went with this one, http://www.treadmilldeskinc.com/shadow.html but there
are other options & other companies.

I should get it in about three weeks.  Super excited!

Anyway, just thought I'd share in case anyone hadn't heard of these yet.  :)

- Potential178