[pct-l] GPS?

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Wed Feb 6 19:30:48 CST 2013

Daniel,

Like a lot of questions, the answer is "it depends".  If you are thru-hiking nobo with the herd, you probably won't need one, since by the time you get into the Sierra, you'll probably be with a group, one of whom might have a GPS.  Also, the less snow in the Sierra, the less likely you are to need one.

However, if you are starting very early, going sobo, going alone, and/or sectioning in front of the herd in a heavy snow year,  then a GPS will come in handy.  I didn't take one in 2010 (thru-hike attempt), but it would have saved some time in the Sierra.  Our "team" of 5 had 3 different sets of maps, a couple of compasses, and one GPS, which almost never got used.  However, due to Shroomer getting us lost almost daily, we really should have used the GPS more often to save time spent zig-zagging, backtracking, and heading up the wrong ravine. (Just kidding, Shroomer).

In 2011 I started WAY TOO EARLY at Sonora Pass and spent the equivalent of several days trying to navigate with just a map & compass.  Many times I was frustrated and disheartened by not knowing where I was or where the trail was, so a GPS would have been wonderful.  In 2012 I started north from Chester in late July and had no navigation problems at all.  I did, however, carry a GPS with Halfmile's maps, tracks, a nd waypoints on it, which gave me a great feeling of confidence (I also carried map & compass).  I used the GPS frequently  to confirm what I already knew and to get practice in using it.

For me, I will be carrying one every time I'm on the PCT.  It's kinda like a first aid kit - you hope you don't need it at all, but if you need it, you REALLY n e ed it.  And if you get one, be sure to load Halfmile's maps,  tracks, and waypoints.  As an alternative, y ou might try the cheapest (and lightest) model that only gives location in UTM coordinates , which can be used to determine your location on your paper map.

Good luck,

Mango