[pct-l] "Wild"

dm at quixnet.net dm at quixnet.net
Tue Feb 5 18:49:15 CST 2013

I read the book and it took me in two directions.  One was that I enjoyed
Cheryl's story because of her working through her psychological pain while
enduring a physical, mental and emotion challenge she was little prepared
for other than her dogged determination to see it through.  The second part
was that it introduced me to the PCT, which I had never heard of.  Over the
next weeks and months of reading hiker's journals and doing other research I
became impassioned with the idea of hiking the PCT, altho I have never
backpacked at all.

Today I am in serious training for thru-hiking the PCT beginning in
mid-April.  Almost all the gear is assembled and I am hiking 3 days a week
with a backpack, now at 25 pounds and increasing periodically.  Did 33 miles
last week and intend to approximately double that or more by the end of
March.

So I am hiking because of the book, but certainly not because of her
experience.  She was a mess going in but the hike helped make her the woman
she is today.

PCT - 2013!

Dwane Koppler

Message: 30