[pct-l] Safety on the trail

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 13:46:29 CST 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Scott Williams <baidarker at gmail.com> wrote:

> During 30 years I saw many crimes at trailheads and urban parks, and
> uncounted victims on city streets, but not one crime of magnitude on any of
> our wilder trails, and in the East Bay, we have over a 100,000 acres of
> Regional Parks alone without counting the State, and National lands.  The
> vast majority of folks who will venture out beyond a trailhead are
> wonderful, fellow hikers.  The closer you are to civilization, the more
> real your cause for worry, but out in the wild, crimes are very rare.

Exactly. The vast overwhelming majority of people with bad intentions
(99.999% or more) are just too damn lazy to hike a mile up a trail to
look for a victim when they are plentiful and easy to find in other
places. What could they even think of taking from you that would
enrich them? A tarp? A sleeping bag? Easier to steal this stuff from
cars at the trailhead or at a shopping mall.

Head outside away from civilization and leave fear at home. Embrace
the difference that is unique to an experience in the wild and learn
how to live peacefully with the natural world that is no more a threat
to you than you are to yourself. Just keep your wits about you, and
learn from experience. There is no need for fear in the wild. You'll
miss the difference when you get back home.

Dan Jacobs
Washougal
--
"Loud motorcycle stereos save lives"