[pct-l] Foot Expansion

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 22:13:55 CST 2013

Dear Diane

Sorry I will add to my previous post.

Withnall, R., Eastaugh, J.,,\& Freemantle, N. \ \ 2006 \ \ Do shock
absorbing insoles in recruits undertaking high levels of physical
activity reduce lower limb injury? A randomized controlled trial.{ \it
Journal of the Royal Sociaty of Medecine}, 99, 32-37.}

When I read this article, I was overwhelmed their refined research
design: prospective randomized control design:1205 recruits were
assigned to 3 kind of insole group: Saran, Sorbothane (my favorite)
versus Poron, and observed lower limb injury during around 8 months.
Result is very interesting: There is no difference concerning injury.
I laughed for a while. This is a very important evidence.

Another important research is also indicated that orthotic insoles
have no effect to prevent injury.

Mattila, V.M., Sillanpaa, P.J., Salo, T., Laine, H.J., Maenpaa, H.,\&
Pihlajamaki, H. \ \ 2010 \ \ Can orthotic insoles prevent lower limb
overuse injuries? A randomized-controlled trial of 228 subjects. {\it
Scandinavian Journal of Medicine \& Science in Sports}, 10, doi:
10.1111/j.1600-0838.2010.01116.x.}

So I never trust insole, never recommend specific insole, because
there is no reason to recommend.

But, insole is prove to have some effect to prevent blister, because
they are soft and reduce the shear force.

I cannot obtain my boots in Japan, since my foot is narrow and large (
US size 12,  large size and narrow footwear is very rare in Japan ).
But, fortunately, I can buy them from USA now ( frequently from Sierra
Trading Post ). I don't mind the difference of millimeters, because
they can be adjustable.

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami  村上宣寛 )