[pct-l] Foot Expansion

Tom Holz tom.holz at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 20:30:16 CST 2013

Ack, I can't believe I missed this thread.  Apologies if I'm covering old ground.  I used a barefoot running gait at hiking speeds on the PCT in 2010.  Yes, that's weird, but it allowed me to make high-mile days that would have given me shin splints and metatarsal pain if I had used my dysfunctional walking gait.

(I wear a 16EE on the trail, and have huge bony lumps on my heels--Haglund's deformities--so shoes have always been a problem.)

Anyhow, as a side effect of changing my gait, my feet got shorter because the arches strengthened and pulled up.  It was a shock to measure my feet in Oregon and fit into a New Balance 15.  They are still really wide, however.

Bigfoot