[pct-l] Safety on the trail

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Mon Feb 4 18:25:15 CST 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Dana Cash <danakcash at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a young, solo female attempting to thru-hike, should I be worried about
> my safety on the trail? Not necessarily concerning animals and such, but in
> terms of people?

I think cars at road crossings are a more dangerous than people.

> Several people have suggested that I carry a gun with me, but I am very
> opposed to that unless it is absolutely necessary.

No need for a gun. Just useless weight, and unless you have it in a
holster, ready to draw, it is totally worthless. Even if you do, if
you don't have the combat training, and are current on it, it is more
likely to be used against you than defend yourself.