[pct-l] Overseas plan to thru-hike

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Feb 2 05:03:17 CST 2013

Good morning, Adrian,

Water caches to help PCT hikers are not an organized and totally reliable
thing.  They are typically placed by volunteers.  Many are quite reliable,
but there could be instances where a big mob of hikers passed just before
you and took all the water.  Most caches are at road crossings so the
volunteer doesn’t have to carry a great distance.  One exception is the
“Third-Gate Cache” which, while near the trail, is a bit remote from a road.

The water is usually contained in one-gallon plastic jugs, and placed in
the shade – if possible – in a conspicuous location near the trail.  Sometimes
they are just placed on the ground, and other times they are found in nice
little racks or shelters.  I’ve never seen a cache buried. It’s usually
very hard to miss finding them.  In addition to water, sometimes there can
be found other features such as a trail register book for hiker comments,
or even eatable/drinkable treats.

Anyone starting the PCT in S. California should have a copy of the Water
Report which in my view is the single most important piece of information
for that area.  It is now graciously provided by HalfMile and can now be
found at:  http://www.pctwater.com/

“Trail Angels” is a big topic, but as one hikes there will found signs, and
word-of-mouth to direct a hiker.  Some ‘Angels just leave stuff by the
trail.  Some are available to help with rides.  Some are highly organized
and have become institutions among thru-hikers.  They are all wonderful
people.

Hiking without a stove is very possible.  I – among many others – hike
without the weight, fuss, and wildfire risk of a stove.

90% of the PCT is a very conspicuous trail which is well marked with a wide
variety of signs, most of which feature the chubby-diamond PCT logo.  In
places there can be questions or confusion, particularly over snowpack, so
most of us carry full maps and a compass.  GPS waypoints are available, and
very accurate and useful, but are certainly not required for successful
navigation.  Many options are available, but I use the free map files –
again from HalfMile – that can be found at  http://www.pctmap.net/  With
prints of those maps, and Yogi’s guide for logistics, a hiker would be well
equipped.

Many hikers are successful without drop box resupply.  Much depends upon
eating habits.  Some of the resupply points have very limited stock of
foods, and what is available may not suit a vegetarian menu.  Often, if
something suitable isn’t available, a hitch-hike or other ride can get one
to someplace with a more complete selection.

It’s possible to carry the same equipment the whole distance, but it might
be good to use one set of equipment up until Kennedy Meadows where addition
gear is usually received.  That may include warmer clothes, a bear
canister, ice axe, new shoes, etc.

I don’t usually change to different clothes because some of the coldest
hiking and sleeping could easily be in the S. Cal. desert.  The desert
often gets cold at night.  I haven’t found the high, snow-covered Sierras
to be particularly cold, day or night, so I use the same gear.  I may
switch to a lighter sleeping bag around Reno/Tahoe, but my jacket,
windshirt, gloves, and stocking hat stay with me.  From Cascade Locks north
it’s good to have some more serious rain gear.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=265651

That’s a pretty brief outline but it’ll give you a place to start.  If you
haven't already I suggest you get copies of the 8 “PCT Class Of…” DVDs and
get a feel for what it all looks like.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye