[pct-l] trail runners vs. hiking boots

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Fri Feb 1 13:16:30 CST 2013

Greetings:

The fat padding on my feet is the worse for wear over the years and
started causing ball of foot pain after hiking over 10 miles, so I
have settled on a compromise shoe--the low top Merrill Moab
Ventilators. They have a sturdier sole and more padding. I replace
them after 500 miles of trail walking. I could go longer on one pair,
but foot comfort is of utmost importance--almost any other kind of
discomfort can be more easily tolerated. You can really sense the
cushioning difference in a shoe that is wearing out on the trail, so I
err on the side of comfort. I have ordered these shoes on the trail
from Merrill.

I also take out the store insole and put in a high volume "Your sole"
brand moldable custom insole. I heat the insole in the oven, then
stand in my shoes on the insole for 5 minutes so it molds to my feet.
I carry between 20-30 pounds and am 5' 4" and weigh about 140. The
"Yoursole" insoles cost about $45, but they have eliminated my ball of
foot pain. I also deviate from the norm and wear a light liner sock
and a wool sock, which also adds to the padding.

I also wear only men's shoes now--even my non hiking shoes. This also
has helped eliminate foot pain because they are usually wider in the
toe box than women's shoes. I used to wear a woman's size 8 1/2 but
now wear a men's size 9 1/2.
--Fireweed