[pct-l] Trail Apps

Michael Irving michaeljirving at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 16:33:25 CST 2013

Hi all,

Someone recently asked me about apps that I use on the trail, so I figured I'd post it here also to share and also to learn what I'm missing out on from other's experiences.

Now...I realize that not everyone likes to geek out on technology on the trail and I totally get that and respect that, but I'm not one of those.  :-)

So, with the spirit of HYOH and YMMV in mind, here's my list...what am I missing out by not using??? (iOS platform is what I use)

Here are the apps I use.

Navigation:

Gaia GPS: (Just switched, I used to use GPS Kit) I use this to monitor my mileage and stats and to track my trail.  Less useful/needed on a trail like the PCT as all the info is readily available, but I still like to do it if I have the battery power.

Topo Maps: For looking at maps of the surrounding area outside the tight range of Halfmile's maps.  Like the concentric circles that show mileage distances as the crow flies from current position.  Download all the quad-maps needed prior to hike and you don't need data on the trail.

Peak.ar: To identify surrounding peaks - their names, elevations and distances.

Halfmile PCT: The best app ever.  Love the exact point on the trail to monitor progress and distances to next points of interest.

Guthook's Hiking Guides: Good backup for more info that might not always be on Halfmile.

PCTHYOH: Self explanatory I think.

Star Walk: To identify stars and planets at night.

SPOT: For my family/trail angels to track my progress to support my hike and for emergency.

Reference:

Kindle: To host my Pacific Crest Trail Data Book and my NOLS Wilderness First Aid guide

US Fires: Reports on forest fire status

Photos:

Native camera app: easy to access from the home screen short cut. Use the panorama feature a lot to get sweeping vistas.

Pro HDR: My favorite photo app that takes care of high contrast pictures that either wash out the bright sky blues or dark shadows. It takes 2 pics about a second apart so you have to hold the phone still.

I prop on things like trees and rocks or I rest it on my trekking poles that are leaning together like a Tri-pod with 2 legs. I also use a plastic Joby GP1-A1EN Gorillapod Flexible Tripod with a Selens Cell Phone iPhone Clip Holder For Tripod Stand with Standard 1/4" Hole. These 2 together only weigh 65 grams/2.3oz.

Sometimes I'll jam my trekking pole in the ground or between rocks and then "clamp" the legs of thee gorillapod around the handle as a defacto tripod.

I also use a stickpic on my trekking pole sometimes too.

SlowShutter: For cool moving water effects.

VSCOcam: Cool picture effects

TiltShiftGen: Cool tilt-shift effects and to create tight depth of field shots that you typically can only get on an SLR.

360: For cool spherical 360 degree pictures for peaks and things.

Remoto Lite: To use 1 iPhone (connected via Bluetooth to another iPhone) as a remote shutter control for multiple controlled activation of many pictures to ensure a good one.

Pano: I used to use this for stitched panoramas but this feature in the newer iPhones is better so I don't use this anymore.

Diptic: for collage pictures

Skitch: To annotate pictures.

ColorSplash: to have black & white picture with a customized splash of color.

PhotoFunia: Some really fun and creative treatments for pictures.

TimeLapse: A super cool timelapse app for sun rises and clouds moving or camp set up or other fun things.

Video:

FiLMiC Pro 2: For much more control of video settings and for shooting at lower than full HD if I want to sent video over weak Internet connections.

Native Camera: Love the new slo-mo mode that shoots 120 frames per second to get crisp slo-mo effects.

TiltShift Video: Tilt shift effects for video

RotateVideo: to rotate videos that accidentally are shot in the wrong aspect. (When I occasionally hit record before my phone has auto rotated from portrait to landscape)

AudioMemos: To record audio clips to overlay with my videos that include pictures after the hike.

GoPro: As a screen and controller for my GoPro

That's about all I can think of. If I could use only 1 app, it would be Pro HDR.

And what do I use to power all this?  A Suntactics sCharger-5 (8.3 oz - $140) and an Anker Astro3E 10,000 mAh dual USB battery (about 5 smart phone charges at 8.5 oz and $40)

Have fun!

GoalTech