[pct-l] Possible PCT Mountain Fire Bypass for 204

Dan Welch welchenergy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 11:48:43 CST 2013

I am looking at this option too.  One thing I was at first concerned about
was the distance between water resources - but it looks OK. If you obtain
water at Paradise café and walk back to the PCT (1 mi); proceed North on the
PCT to the Cedar Springs Trail (11 mi); hike out to Hwy 74 (~6 mi); and then
take the route that roughly parallels the road to the Lake Hemet Campground
(~5 mi); that is ~23 mi. between water sources.  Very doable.  Water is
likely available from the campground and surely available from the lake.
>From there it is only about 10 miles to Idyllwild where I plan to stop for
resupply.  Taking the South Ridge trail out of Idyllwild over Tahquitz Peak
puts you back on the trail right at the end of the fire closure at Little
Tahquitz Valley (Mi.177).

I like it!!

Thanks Hiker Jim!