[pct-l] Question about Halfdmile App

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Mon Dec 23 12:13:58 CST 2013

>From Timberline:
> So my guess is that the GPS function is doing both coordinates and
elevation.
> Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Simple answer - yes!  Both lat/lon AND elevation  are obtained by 'triangulation' - and for various
reasons, some mentioned by Gary & Bob, elevation is less 'accurate' than lat/lon when taking a
quick location fix...

>From Bob:
> What a lot of misinformation is being dispensed on this topic.

Depends on your point of view and how technical one wants to be to answer a simple question.

> When one is at the north pole, Polaris is directly overhead.

That's also misinformation(!) - simple perspective, it's 'close'; technically, that is NOT true...
Right now Polaris is approx. 0.7 degrees from the North Celestial Pole, which, by definition, is
"directly overhead" of the Earth's rotational axis, or North Pole...  We could also get into the
discussion of the 23,000 year cycle of precession - but WHY??

That should enough BS for the day.................................