[pct-l] Gossamer Q-twin Tarp

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Sun Dec 15 21:26:06 CST 2013

Bob,
	I was wondering about that too.
	At 110"(width at front)x83"(width at rear)X117"(at ridge line) this works out to roughly 9'x7'x10' or roughly 80sqft of fabric. Ignoring the side tapers (down to 101") to allow for the reinforcements. Deducting about an ounce for 8 linelocks. Gives a total of 6oz for fabric weight or 80sqft(8.89yd) for 6oz. This gives .675oz/yd for the tarp. Closest number is the ..68oz/yd cuben, but I suspect it is actually a slightly heavier with at least some carbon threads in it since it is advertised as "transparent black" in color. This would be far more durable/wind resistant.
	It is an excellent size, but, it lacks any type of beak or door arrangement. Most tarps require a foot around the perimeter for any splash back. In a storm, with winds, it could easily penetrate 3'-4' (or more) if the wind shifts.
	It is around the same size as my tarp, which weighs in at 14oz after sealing it. Half of 1.5oz/yd (silnylon) also gives a figure of around .75oz per yard. This rough estimate also jives pretty well with the above. So, offhand I would say it is NOT .35 or .51oz/yd. I am not sure what the adhesives weigh though.
	Yup, cuben is expensive. Especially if added strength is wanted. And the cat cuts are probably mostly wasted with cuben, there is little stretch, even when wet.
	My thoughts only . . .
		jdm