[pct-l] Gatewood Cape

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 3 09:20:33 CST 2013

For those thinking about the Gatewood Cape, you might want to consider
the similarly-configured Wild Oasis, also from Six Moon Designs, though
the Wild Oasis will not double as rain gear.  On the plus side it has a
fringe of bug netting.  I carried this shelter for the entire CDT and
found the bug net fringe quite effective if I carefully overlapped my
Tyvek ground sheet over the edges of the netting.  Usually, I slept with
the door open and rarely did I have an issue with condensation.  On one
of the rare occasions when I had decided to cowboy camp, I felt a few
raindrops about 3AM and was able to quickly set up the tarp over top of
my bivouac---an advantage of it having no floor.   I had it up during a
freak mid-April snow storm in central PA and it held up while nearly 18"
of snow accumulated on the ground, though it did sag into my face during
the night until I slapped its sides whereupon the snow slid off
readily.   ---Handlebar