[pct-l] Bovine mystery

Ron Graybill rgraybill44 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 13:40:08 CST 2013

There are doubtless many places along the PCT where hikers encounter
evidence that cows have shared the trail, but this instance thoroughly
mystifies me.  We hiked yesterday from Cabazon (actually Interstate 10 at
Mile 209.5) up to the Whitewater Preserve (Mile 218.7).  We had scarcely
left the neighborhoods along the freeway when we began to notice hoof
prints and cow pies along the trail (just before the Mesa Wind Farm).  The
evidence suggested several cows had been walking along the trail, and the
freshness of the evidence showed this had happened in the past couple of
weeks.  Incredibly, this interpid bovines continued up and over the summit
of the box canyon at Mile 215.2 and down through the switchbacks on the
steep, steep canyon wall northward of that point.  I know cows are stupid
creatures, but I can't imagine they would wander up this trail on their own
in search of food or water.  So there must have been a herdsman driving
them.  But why?  They were headed northbound, so they couldn't have been
heading for a slaughterhouse.  This area is completely and utterly devoid
of any green grass or other nourishment for cows, and bone dry the whole 9
miles (we didn't even see lizards).  So why were cows heading northbound
along this stretch of trail?
Ron "Slo Charger" Graybill
P.S. Hoping to hike with the Trail Geezers northward from Warner Springs in
a couple of weeks. Just skipped ahead to this piece near Cabazon because we
wanted to also visit friends out there.