[pct-l] Message from SAR in Washington

Andrea Dinsmore andrea at dinsmoreshikerhaven.com
Fri Aug 30 14:50:17 CDT 2013

 <https://www.facebook.com/SnohomishHRT?hc_location=timeline>
Snohomish County Helicopter Rescue
Team<https://www.facebook.com/SnohomishHRT?hc_location=timeline>
If you spend a lot of time in the backcountry, we strongly recommend
purchasing a SPOT beacon or a PLB. More and more of the rescues we do are
initiated by such devices. It is important to note that the overall number
of rescues we do per year have not necessarily increased, yet --with the
increased use of such devices-- the time between accident to rescue has
dramatically decreased. Case in point was this Monday's rescue at Mica Lake
along the PCT. The subject activated their SPOT at 6am and HRT was on scene
at 8:55am. Considering that this subject was a solo hiker, it would have
been difficult to even notify anyone of the accident without a beacon.
Lastly, if a helicopter had not been available it would have taken DAYS for
ground crews to pack an injured subject from this location, deep in the
wilderness.

Andrea Dinsmore