[pct-l] women hiking alone

Teresa Skye methowskye at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 16:20:21 CDT 2013

I'm 62 years old, have hiked hundreds of miles by myself, a lot in Yellowstone (read grizzly country). There's nothing like the self confidence and sense of purpose one gains from making decisions on the trail. I'm not afraid at night-I really believe there's not much out there to get me. Getting used to little noises is the key-anything really big will be noisy. My scariest time during my section hike of Oregon recently was at Indian Springs CG, near the Eagle Creek alternative. I was there by myself, and a dirt road comes into that campground. A big pickup made its way slowly up the road at dusk, circled around, and left. I debated whether they might come back, whether to move, etc. I finally let it go, stayed, and nothing happened. But I do hate the feeling that the most unnerving night I had involved humans.
Skyward

Sent from my iPad