[pct-l] Trail section in Goat Rocks being rebuilt

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 22:47:49 CDT 2013

I hiked this section in 2009 and I'm pretty sure my Wilderness Press
guidebook listed the glacier route as the "official" trail and the
Old Snowy route as a strongly recommended alternative.

I met a SOBO hiker (who had thru-hiked in 1977!) with a huge bloody
gash on his knee. He warned me to not take the official trail but do
the Old Snowy route instead because the official trail is how he got
the injury. When I got to the trail I took one look at it and
immediately decided it looked like a death trap. I did the Old Snowy
route and found it exhilarating and exciting, a real highlight to my
entire trip. I'm glad they are going to keep this route available. I
would choose it even if the glacier route is improved.

One thing I enjoyed about the Oregon/Washington section was how there
were so many alternates. Sometimes I chose the good ones and other
times I did not. I never felt I was "cheating". The only time I ever
felt I was "cheating" was when I decided to hike the Grand Canyon of
the Tuolumne rather than the official trail. God that was so
breathtakingly beautiful. I cheated on the PCT those two days, hiking
in low elevation with warm nights, fewer bugs, gorgeous waterfalls
and cliffs and in the company of some really nice people. Another
highlight for me.

Diane