[pct-l] Fw: Williamson attempting to regain unsupported PCT

shon mcganty smcganty at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 28 14:41:20 CDT 2013

I'd like to add to the comment someone made ( "women have an endurance advantage over men as our bodies hold on to fat much better ")  ......there are some who state women also hold an advantage over men because they have better endurance.  Despite that fact that this may not be supported in actual racing and recreational events, but many people make this claim.  I did read a study were two researchers (both women, and I assumed were students doing a thesis) did a study were they had tourniquets placed around the thigh and had men and women ride a stationary bike.  Their results were that the women lasted longer, and concluded that women are indeed better at endurance.  Their study is complete rubbish (limited study size, far reaching conclusion), but this study was picked up by other magazines.

I can admit that I hold certain biases, and this may be one of them, but in my head I imagine these magazines are run by women, or are their target audience is women, and they want to taut "Hurrah for women."  I think this whole comparing men vs women is not needed.  I love it when I read Jackie's comments about this (thank you Jackie, you seam very level headed).  It's PEOPLE out there putting up with the triple digit temps, hurting feet, food strategies, and walking those darn miles.

Congrats to all, and happy trails.