[pct-l] Scott Williamson in Oregon

Larry Tyler mc5ljt at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 27 21:31:45 CDT 2013

Roadrunner and I met Scott Williamson on trail at approximately 7AM yesterday Monday 8/26.  We had just hit the trail and were about 4 miles north of the Elk Lake trail turnoff.  Scott said he was doing well in spite of the poor weather.  He said he was averaging 45 miles a day and was on course to break all 3 records (his personal best, Anish's unsupported record and Josh's supported record).

We had met Scott on our first thru hike in 2006.  He had just come through the burn area between McKenzie Pass and Santiam Pass. He told us that even though the trail was closed that we shouldn't have any trouble getting through.  2006 was the year Scott successfully yoyo'd the PCT.  We saw him heading north near Pinchot Pass.  I remember him cresting the pass, hopping from suncup to suncup like a mountain goat.

Scott shared trail talk with us for about 10 minutes yesterday.  What I take away from our meeting is Scott's love of the PCT  and his humility.  It seemed like the last thing on his mind was rushing down the trail in pursuit of the record.

As far as Roadrunner and I, we are well  on our way to setting a record for most fun the second time around.  Did I really just write that?

Will and Roadrunner