[pct-l] Lingering Knee Pain After Hike?

DJ Brown topsyturvy_98 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 20 02:47:24 CDT 2013

Melissa – after our 2011 PCT thruhike, my then-fiance and I both had achy knees for probably 6 weeks. We also felt it most after sitting, and also when going up and down stairs. It didn’t really hurt that much once you were walking for awhile. It eventually faded away. Not everybody had this same problem, or for this long. We thought it was a combo of age (both in our early 40s) along with the intensity of the hike. I did NOT have the same problem in 1998 at age 27 when finished thruhiking the AT, but I also wore leather boots and hiked at a more relaxed pace. Unless you have catching, locking or instability in your knee (feeling like it might give out), it is unlikely there is any ligament or cartilage (meniscus) injury. [It actually sounds like something called patellofemoral syndrome.] I would advise giving it a little more time as a doctor’s visit is unlikely to do anything except cost you and give you the same advice.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
- Deb, aka Topsy Turvy